I set a goal for myself at the beginning of this month to have my studio completed by the end of July. I actually just might do it and on time. Yes, there will always be little projects and tweaks - decorating is a fluid thing but I am happy with my color choices that I grounded with my love for black and white. In my frenzied attempt to get this all done in thirty days it seems like I have spent a lot of time in the basement ... so much time that my hubby is calling it my "girl cave" He jokes that i have been spending all of my time here. He may be right but I think my focus will return to normal after tomorrow. What began as a diversion for me while becoming an empty nester has become a labor of love. This project had all the elements that jazz me - decorating, color, organization, and creativity. The problem is that every time I go into this room I think of another thing that would make it uniquely fun or functional. Maybe that is a good thing. I'm thinking this is most definitely going to be an inspiring place for me to get into my creative zone.
This project has also challenged me. I pushed myself to do things on my own instead of relying on the help of others aka Mike or Adam. I put all of the furniture together by myself... even the easel that Liz and Page gave me for Christmas a year and a half ago. It was a great gift. They felt sorry for me knowing that I didn't have one and so I would have to lay my canvas out on the kitchen floor. That can be hard on the old bum and back after a while. To the amazement of my family I put together the Expedit wall unit and Alex map chest from Ikea all by myself. Last year I put together my desk from Pier One but it was what appeared to be a simple task, the easel, that really strained my brain. The instructions were the worst. Pardon me now while I throw my therapeutic rant about bad directions because really? Who writes this crap? Actually there weren't any words, just pictures, which usually works for me. But how about a picture where you can see detail? I grabbed my readers. It didn't matter. I could have used the hubble telescope and not have been able to see anything. There just wasn't enough detail. Or here's an idea - label the pieces. Such a simple solution but one that the manufacturer apparently didn't think necessary. Sorry, I'm over it and now I feel much better. I think my self imposed deadline must be getting the best of me. It's just that I have always heard that "When all else fails, read the directions" In this case the best thing to do was to throw the damn things out and wing it. The end result was it looks great and I can't wait to use it. I do have a couple of extra screws left though. Hope they weren't all that important. :)
It really is going to be great and I have such a sense of accomplishment every time I look at it.
And now for a few teaser peeks at my girl cave:
I hope you will check back tomorrow for the big reveal of month long creation.