It's been a busy busy week.
I've been getting ready for a bridal shower.
It wasn't that there was that much to do to get ready for the shower.
The bigger issue was my neglected house.
I'm discovering it doesn't take long for this old place to get away from me.
We moved in almost twelve years ago and the rooms on the front of the house -
the rooms I did first are just not me anymore.
They need an update.
I didn't have the time or budget for a total redo.
Actually that isn't my style.
I usually tweak things a bit more gradually
moving in the direction of my goal.
With me, though, even my goal is fluid.
The problem is I like too many things and too many styles.
I've known I would be hosting this shower but it wasn't until about three weeks ago that I really owned up to the fact that I was running out of time and had a lot of needs.
I would have to prioritize.
So I made a list of things I most wanted to update.
One of the things on my list was to fill this empty space above my mantel.
I had taken the wall art that was here and moved it to another spot in the house.
I bought the canvas for my painting project almost a year ago
but it took a party to push me into action.
I had been inspired by some chairs and chair art I had seen on the internet.
This was the look I was going for.
(Photo taken from Posters.com)
Items needed for this project:
an image of whatever your subject matter will be
a bit of daring and imagination
So I painted my canvas in shades of pinks and oranges and reds.
Then I cheated a bit.
I wanted to be sure that the symetry of the chair arms was right - you know, I wanted to have the right side and the left side match.
So I took a picture of a chair.
I created my image into a silhouette on the computer but this is not necessary.
You could enlarge any image that has a simple outline.
I printed out my image and took it to Copyworks to have it enlarged.
I love Copyworks.
For roughly $5.00 they enlarged my image so I would have an outline to work with.
I cut around the enlarged silhouette and taped it to my painted canvas.
This would be my template.
So I traced around it
and started painting and shading it in.
I painted in the animal print and added some shading to the wooden part of the chair
and called it done.
If you didn't want to paint in the chair you could get your pattern by using decoupage adhesive and scrapbook paper.
It was the day before the shower and I still had to pick up the cupcakes and buy groceries.
Friday night "The girls" and I were making a night of it.
We were going to dinner and then we were off to see Sex and the City 2.
Another priority. :)
So I wrapped this up ...
I didn't get the dining room painted or the new rug yet,
but I do host book club later this summer. :)
I'm feeling another project coming on.