A friend of mine from high school recently asked me to create an animal print dressed jewelry box as a gift for one of her friends. Thank you Lisa for thinking of me.
I found this neglected relic at a local G.W.
It had good bones but needed a bit of TLC.
I thought the cane doors were unnecessary and gave this piece a bit of an 80's vibe that didn't need to be revisited so I removed them.
I painted the entire piece black and then went to town with the requested animal print theme.
Lisa asked if I could also bring some dashes of red into the design so I added a bit of a deeper red to the top drawer and a red and copper treatment to the ends.
The insides of the drawers to this piece were an 80's country blue. It wasn't working with my design. When I have done smaller pieces like this I have replaced the lining with new felt but this jewelry box had nine drawers and that seemed a bit daunting.
I figured I had nothing to lose so I tried spray painting the interiors of the drawers. I have to say the result was amazing. It looks better than if I had tried to recover them.
I will definitely be using that technique again in the future. Adding felt to just the bottom of each drawer is easy to do but wouldn't be necessary.That said, I did do this treatment to just the top drawer for a bit of stepped up style.
Lisa, happy birthday to your friend.
I hope she likes it.
Linking up my post here: